Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What is the right way to press flowers?

I want to save some of the flowers from my wedding bouqet, is there any way to save the whole thing or so I have to save just a few?

What is the right way to press flowers?
You need heavy absorbent paper....like the paper from water color painting....place each flower separately, and arrange leaves. place the flower on one sheet, the check again for position and apply a piece of paper over it...build up as many layers as you like...and on the top apply heavy weights....and leave stand for at least 10 days or more. After drying is complete, gently remove the dried flowers and I use an acrylic spray (clear) to strengthen the flower....don't spray heavily...Some colors fade during drying but if you are artistic, they can be brightened with oil paints. There are many techniques to use in drying plants but the one I gave you is the easiest. Some methods use calcium chloride or silicon gel but they require a bit of equipment. The method I explained is the technique we use in collecting botanical specimens for museums.
Reply:They have a new technique where they can preserve your whole bouquet without pressing. It is a little expensive, but the result is better than anything else out there. My friend had it done and I will do the same.



I think they freeze dry them, but it basically slightly shrinks the flower while keeping it whole and retaining some of its original color. You have to take your bouquet to them within days of the wedding for the best results. Google flower preservation services in your area.

Graphics software

No comments:

Post a Comment